Deviant Feature: Mecha-Master

Today's Deviant Feature is extra special. We've had some exceptional deviants with their equally uncanny works posted on this humble blog. But now, exclusively on Rai's Garage is the super dimensional mecha artist Mecha-Master/David A. White in real life. Among Mr. White's claim to fame are his works for the new Mechwarrior/Battletech universe as well as other high profile stuff ranging from official works on Voltron and Transformers. Heck, we'll let the man speak for himself!
Mr. White at the 2010 NY Anime Fest and Comic Con
Rai's Garage: First off, what’s your real name? Can you tell us that or would you stick to your DA persona?

Mecha-Master: Hi! Outside of deviantArt, I go by my real name of David A White. I have to use the “A” because there are a lot people with the name David White. I’m always a little embarrassed by my DA handle of Mecha-Master. I definitely don’t think I am the best mecha artist nor am I really a master of anything. I just like drawing mechs and try to do my best every time I draw something new. I don’t know what I was thinking when I came up with that name!

Rai's Garage: Tell us something about yourself:  age, occupation, country of origin, other hobbies/interests beyond DA etc.

Mecha-Master: Hmmmm… I am 38 right now. I am a full time freelance illustrator in the USA. I draw Hot Wheels books for Scholastic and also illustrate comics for LEGO Magazine, among other things. I somehow manage to keep very busy and that’s a good thing for a freelancer. I used to make computer and video games too. I don’t have much time for hobbies because of how much I work (usually around 70 hours a week). When I do have free time, I like to watch anime with my wife or build mecha models. I love the newer models from Kotobukiya. Of course I also like to draw mecha of my own inspiration whenever time permits.

Warthog mecha FTW!
Rai's Garage:  What do you normally post in DA?

Mecha-Master: I only post my mecha artwork on DA. Some of it is my original stuff and some of it was made for clients. I do a decent amount of freelance work for the Battletech game and I post a most of that stuff after it is printed. I also like to use the journal and poll feature to interact with other mecha fans. I love to see what other mecha fans and artists have to say about my work and mecha art in general.

Rai's Garage:  How did you know of DA?

Mecha-Master: I really don’t remember! I have been on DA with my current account for about 3 years and I had another account for a couple of years before that.
This piece appeared in a separate Voltron artbook  

Rai's Garage: What does your interests/hobbies mean to you?

Mecha-Master: Man, this is a pretty open ended question. I think my main hobby has always been my interest in mecha. Those interests lead me to collecting mecha toys and of course drawing mecha. In turn, that lead me to self publishing my own art books. I love the amazing things that we are able to do with modern technology. I can draw all the mecha, write the text, and do all of the layouts right from my humble little studio. Then I just upload the digital files to the printer and a few months later I have an awesome book! So my hobbies inspire me to create! I currently have two art books available and I hope to make more in the future. If only it wasn’t so expensive to print the books.
Tumbler Robo!

Rai's Garage:  What normally inspires you as an artist/deviant?

Mecha-Master: Just the world we all live in. All you have to do is look around and inspiration will jump right in front of you. I love nature as much as I love cars and construction vehicles!

Rai's Garage:  Craziest thing you did for a piece of work/deviation?
Mecha-Master: I don’t think I have ever done anything crazy for work or DA. I’m just not a wacky person. I think most of my art is pretty straightforward.

Rai's Garage: What is your favorite piece of work?

Mecha-Master: I really like the concept art that I created for the “Transformers: War for Cybertron” games. I only worked on the Nintendo DS version but I still think the digital paintings came out very well. I am also proud of my art books as a whole.
ME Grimlock transform as car!!!
Rai's Garage: Aside from DA, where can we watch you?

Mecha-Master: Good question! I have a facebook page, a blog, a web page and newsletter, a youtube account, a webstore, and a twitter account. Take your pick. Here are links to all of them:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mecha-Zone/141672445865465
http://mechazone.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/mechazone?feature=mhee
http://mechazone.bigcartel.com/products
@mechartist (twitter)

Get his books now before its too late!!!
Rai's Garage: Advice for fellow deviants with the same interests as yours:

Mecha-Master: Practice, observe, practice! Understanding fundamental drawing and shape theory is crucial for drawing good mechs.

I went to art college at the Columbus College of Art and Design (Columbus OH) and the lessons I learned there continue to aid my progress and abilities. Art college may not be for everyone, but it was crucial for my development.

Rai's Garage: Thank you Mr. White!

Watch Mecha-Master on his Deviantart account here.

All works and pictures are owned and copyright by the artist and is used with proper permission.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...